Sunday, July 8, 2012

Writing Workshop: What's Hot in Teen Writing

In preparation for my upcoming workshop on writing for teen's on July 28 (see information below) I stopped by Alamosa Books, an independent Children's Bookstore here in Albuquerque, to talk with owner, Elizabeth Anker, and ask her impressions about the popular fantasy genre.


We started off with a discussion of steam punk. Then we explored the fantasy sub genres of dystopian literature and urban fantasy. I won't go into detail here because I'm using a lot of the information in my upcoming workshop, but I will follow up with a more detailed post in a few weeks. I will say I left the bookstore with several new books, so I know how I'll be spending the rest of my summer. Here's the steam punk title at the top of my reading list:



Elizabeth said that unlike many bookstores, Alamosa makes a distinction between fantasy and science fiction because she believes these are two different genres with two distinct audiences. She says science fiction has a bigger male audience with more sience based reality and less romance. Fantasy, on the other hand, attracts more female readers and contains more magic elements with lots of romance. This can make some novels hard to place if they contain elements of both fantasy and science fiction.

For more information about my upcoming writing workshop in Albuquerque call Southwest Writers Workshop at 505-265-9485
WHAT'S HOT IN TEEN WRITING
Carolee Dean

Saturday, July 28
9 AM - 12 Noon
Bear Canyon Center
4645 Pitt NE
Albuquerque, NM 87111

Call to Register: SWW Office 505-265-9485
 Learn about the popular subgenres of teen fiction such as novels in verse, paranormal romance, steam punk, contemporary Young Adult (YA), and dystopian fiction. Then learn how to plot your story like a professional, using the presenter’s twelve step story analysis method called "The Secret Language of Stories." With this method, based on the Hero's Journey, explore a variety of plot ideas. Come prepared to brainstorm! Don't worry if you don't have an idea yet. You will by the time you finish this dynamic workshop.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I wish I could come to that. I hope you have a great turnout and I can't wait for your follow-up post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and good luck to you with SURRENDER.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog after review by the blog administrator.