Friday, September 28, 2012

How I Became a Teaching Author


Today I'm over visiting April Halprin Wayland at the Teaching Authors Blog talking about how I became a teaching author. Here's a peak at the interview...

April: What's a common problem your students have and how do you address it? 

Me: It's easy to get stuck staring at a big white page or a blank computer screen. I can't tell you how many times I hear the words, "I don't know what to write."  I reply, "writing isn't about knowing. There is no magic right or wrong answer as there is in other subjects.

Writing is about choosing, about considering the infinite possibilities and picking one." To this the student inevitably replies, "I still don't know what to write." Then I usually give the stumped pupil a whole list of suggestions which he or she usually doesn't like because that blank computer screen is still just so darn intimidating.

To read the rest of the interview visit Teaching Authors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog after review by the blog administrator.